SALT LAKE CITY – A Salt Lake City dentist jumped into action when he saw smoke and flames rising from a family’s suburb outside their office.
“An average first day back from a long weekend and I finish a patient, I just do normal fillings,” said Ric Sherman.
When working in a dental office, the only thing you expect to be out of place is in someone’s mouth. But on Tuesday, it was what was going on outside Sherman’s office that caught his attention.
“I was just in the zone and I look up and that was a new thing,” Sherman said.
But even after seeing the smoke coming out of the windows, he didn’t think much about it and instead said to himself, “They’re probably vaping like crazy in there.”
Moments later he was outside and saw that smoke was now coming out of the windows and fire was coming out of the vents. So Sherman did what he had been doing for two years as a dentist and ran inside to grab the right tool: a fire extinguisher.
Luckily, he said the couple from the suburbs had already pulled their baby and toddler out of the car.
Sherman blew the hood, assuming the battery was the cause, but the fire was coming from inside.
“The flames had gone up and melted through the dashboard, then I could see where the source was coming from and I just put the fire extinguisher there,” he said.
Witnesses said the fire started after someone put coins in the cigarette lighter.
“It’s kind of crazy to think… you know, because you leave your kids in there,” Sherman said. “Children will be children.”
The suburb will need a lot more than a refill after today’s visit. But no one was injured, and the interior of the vehicle did the extent of the damage, thanks to a dentist.
“I think it’s every kid’s dream to use a fire extinguisher, so all of my dreams have come true today,” he said.